Sunday, November 8, 2009

Golf Sessions Vs. Golf Lessons

While giving a 14 year old student of mine a golf lesson she blurted out something about, Perfect practice makes a perfect swing or whatever that axiom is...

So I laugh and being the sensitive girl she is says, what’s the matter you don’t believe in that?

I said, No, but there is way too much wrong with that idea.

She said, Like what?

I said, For one.., you cannot see yourself so...

And then unless you feel what you are working on...but then there is another axiom, “feel and real or often different” so...

The other is that is takes repsonsibility off of the instructor. I have actually heard a pro say something like this to a student: Well, if you didn’t practice perfectly or enough or whatever then the onus is on you not the instructor.

And then she says, “information is power”.

I laughed.

She siad, “What you don’t believe in that either?”

I said, “No that is a wonderful idea but axioms usually end at then end of the sentence where the period is.”

She questioned what I meant. She asked what I meant.

I said, with axioms, just like with most advice the action usually doesn’t move beyond the flapping of the lips; and they are soon forgotten or cloud or manipulate the issue.
Just like, you need to practice perfectly. What you need to do is to have fun and feel.

Then we felt the clubhead throughout the swing and...good things happened.

No comments: